Check out The Gay Gourmet’s!™ first recipe of this years Second Annual National Cookie Week and don;t forget to read the blog at www.hesthegaygourmet.com & check out www.nationalcookieweek.com
Oatmeal Nutella Sammies! (a.k.a Ms. Oatella Sams!)
1 stick plus 6 TBS unsalted butter (softened)
6 TBS firmly packed Light Brown Sugar
6 TBS Dark Brown Sugar
1 tsp good vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp salt
3 cups Oats (I like Quaker® – it’s yummy)
1 jar Nutella®
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a large bowl beat butter and sugar together till nice and creamy (feel free to use your Kitchen-Aid® but since I STILL don’t own one I use a fork and it works just fine!)
3. Add both eggs and vanilla. Beat well. (I switch to a whisk here for better and quicker incorporation)
4. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well and using a strainer sift over wet ingredients in parts, mixing as you go! (Here I start using a rubber spatula)
5. Add your oats and stir till just combined
6. Now drop small rounded balls of dough on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 8 to 10 mins or until golden. (Two tips here: a. I like making these guys tiny and bite size ’cause it makes them super fun but you can make them as big or as little as you want. b. Watch your cookies! As in any baking, you want to pull them out just shy of being done as the heat will continue to cook them once the are out of the oven and no one likes a dry cookie!)
7. Once they are done let them rest a couple minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
8. Put a smear of Nutella® on the bottom side of on of the cookies and then add another to make a sandwich.
9. Don’t make the sammies till you a ready to eat them and store the cookies in airtight container so they don’t dry out!
Careful as these are addictive and you will eat the whole batch!!
Keep checking the sites for Cookie Week updates and have a very Happy National Cookie Week!!
The Gay Gourmet!™